Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Poet Introduced


For most of my life I have written poems for friends and loved ones, to encourage them, to comfort them, to preserve the moments and the memories, to celebrate the love, to articulate the loss, to help ease the pain.

Ten years ago, with stimulus and motivation from my daughter, I placed an ad in our local newspaper that caught the attention of one of the staff writers at that newspaper.  He interviewed me and wrote an article about the "Middleburg Poet."  Ah!  The joy of someone else calling one a poet, and seeing it in print.

Back then, it was usually at craft shows that people became aware that someone could turn their memories into an heirloom-quality poem.  I would tote my framed poems to the shows and people would start at one end of my display and - again and again - they would shed tears by the time they reached the other end.  My husband worked some of the shows with me, and he would be baffled by this phenomenon (as he passed out tissues to those who needed them!).  People would then fax me their information (I always ask for "too many" details, "too much" information, so I would have a good feel for their heart and for the story they wanted told). Then I would create a Keepsake Poem for them.

Today I am beginning to post some of these poems on my website, http://yourwordweaver.com/, and I  would be honored if some of you would wander over there to read some of the "Stories in Poem" that I have been privileged to write over the years.  I will be adding more over the next few weeks.

The photo above was one I took at the Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah, Georgia ~ one of my favorite towns to visit.

4 comments:

  1. Mama,
    This is Megan. I think this a great website to share the wonderful poetry you make. You certainly have the talents of a poet. I always love the poetry you send with pictures and cards. You also take wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Megan, for being the very first to comment on my new blog. Your words are an encouragement to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh you are a poet! a beautiful poet.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Christina. I treasure your words.

    ReplyDelete