Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Purloined Pudding

So, one morning, back in the eighties, I made four bowls of chocolate pudding.
Afterward, Allen and I went out on some errands.
When we returned home, Allen happened to go to 
a closet that we seldom opened.
It contained Christmas decorations, a ceramic pumpkin,
and other items infrequently used.
After opening the closet door, he called out to me:
"Why did you put the pudding in the closet?"
I was puzzled by such a question, but said, "I didn't put the pudding in the closet."
He replied, "Well.  The pudding is in the closet."
I said, "If the pudding is in the closet, then you put it there."
(We were the only dwellers in our abode).
He adamantly denied doing so, and, all of a sudden, I had
this awful thought:  "He's trying to make me think I'm going crazy!"
I just glared at him.
At that point, I guess he somehow knew not to prolong the conversation,
and he walked off.
I put the pudding back on the kitchen counter,
stewed about it a bit, then went on with my day.
Late in the afternoon, my sweet daughter called and we had a nice long chit-chat.
Then, out of the blue, she asks,
"Did you lose anything, Mom?"
Me:  "No."
She:  "Are you sure???"
And finally:  "You didn't lose your pudding?"
She then confessed that, while we were out that morning, she had come by 
(for something or other - I don't remember)
and, as she had a key, she came in, spied the pudding, and pulled the prank.
After we hung up, and I had told Allen what happened, I asked him,
"What were you really thinking?" (as the episode progressed).
He responded, "I thought you'd lost your flipping mind!"
And I rejoined, "I thought you were setting me up to have me committed!"

Thanks, Carla ~ Things were much more interesting before you
moved to South Carolina!
Don't let this sweet face deceive you!

3 comments:

  1. I must admit, I don't think I have ever laughed so hard. I really had you guys going! I am related to Uncle David, I've learned from the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine that there was ANY pudding left knowing the Carla I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Carla, you are very much related to your Uncle David. And my Dad - your Papa. This history of tormenting one another has many facets.

    I have a sneaking suspicion that "Anonymous" is your Aunt Janet!

    ReplyDelete