Monday, March 7, 2011

A Poem for My Daughter

Carla and Me ~ July 1971
A Poem I Wrote for My Daughter, Carla

"Beach World Blessings"

I look back across the decades 
To a little Florida town,
When I had no wealth ~ but I had health,
And my skin was sun~kissed brown.
When I had no plan, and there was no man
To comfort or provide ~
When I felt blessed above the rest
With my daughter at my side:
A little girl with sea-green eyes
Who charmed my heart and soul,
As hand~in~hand, on the summer sand,
Under the sun we'd stroll.
Others, perhaps ~ if they thought of us ~
Perceived or believed us poor,
But they couldn't measure the treasure
We found on that golden shore!
Our days were drenched in sunlight then,
More precious to me than gold,
With a driftwood find we felt refined
And our joy was manifold.
We'd tote our seaside wonders home
And place them all around ~
The smallest space can hold such grace
Where gratitude is found...
And a little bit of seaweed
Or a sea shell's winding swirl
Could touch our soul and keep us whole,
Me and my little girl.
And now, when the years before me
Are less than they ever were,
I still feel blessed above the rest
For the beach world...and for her.

Written by Linda Moser Winebrenner
8 September 2009
A Heart Gift for my Daughter, Carla Marie Fuller



2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Andrea. It was special to me to be able to capture two of my life's greatest blessings in one poem...

    ReplyDelete