Saturday, August 20, 2011

Reflections on Cheating myself


Sometimes I think I cheat myself out of the manifold blessings
an ordinary day can hold.
The means by which I am able to cheat myself are varied,
but might include:
  • Not seeking God's presence
  • Refusing His admonition to "pursue peace"
  • Not seeking silence and its riches
  • Not getting outside where my soul must acknowledge His power, revealed in the wind, the waves, the endless wonder
  • Having a spirit of ingratitude 
  • Not accepting others as they are, as I, myself, wish to be accepted
It helps to be aware of my proclivity for robbing myself.
It helps when I humbly ask the Creator to "teach me what I do not see." (Job 34:32)  For only then do I begin to comprehend that sometimes His blessings require my active participation, as I am asked to seek, to recognize, to acknowledge, to pursue, to pray, to accept, to receive ~ and lastly, and perhaps most importantly, to be grateful...


3 comments:

  1. Some great thoughts here, Linda. My favourites . . . 'outside where my soul must acknowledge His power' 'seeking silence and it's riches' and 'sometimes His blessings require my active participation'. Such true words, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably expressed a million times, a million different ways, but as Madeline L'Engle expressed,
    "Of course it's been said before...but it had to be said by me" (or that general idea - to lazy to look it up at the moment!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. being grateful is such a mighty secret worthy of unveiling! Our Lord is Mighty to save!
    I heard today in a message that believing is really seeing...
    I will put the link... blessings
    http://video.soha.vn/watch/2/video/351506/phim-video-clip-Celebrate-What39s-Right-With-The-World.html

    ReplyDelete