Thursday, April 21, 2011

Some Friendships Never Die

Barb and Me ~ Laughing at our Golf Game

A friendship that lasted over forty years is remembered today.
Yesterday was the third anniversary of the loss
of that friendship...in earthly terms.  
But it is a friendship that will never die.
Love, indeed, is stronger than death.
I wrote the following poem at Hospice 
two days before she left our world.
It was read at the memorial service honoring my friend.

"When the Time Comes"
When the time comes and my final days arrive,
Take no heroic actions to keep this frame alive.
My body served me well, indeed, when life and I were young,
But the dance of life is over now, the final song is sung.
And this I pray you understand:  It's just the dance that ends,
My precious life continues on and it's God Himself who lends
His perfect peace and presence now, as I prepare to leave;
I will not have to walk alone, His comfort I receive.
I shut my eyes and I behold sweet visions growing clear;
I hear another symphony your ears cannot quite hear.
The love of God is drawing me down a path you can't yet find,
But as we go He's telling me to leave my love behind.
I have His love, I leave you mine, that's how it all works out.
Please take my love to slay your fears and cast out every doubt.
There's one last thing my lips would speak
and my heart still yearns to tell:
Not only have you loved me, but you have loved me well.
Linda Moser Winebrenner
18 April 2008

Your love and friendship sees us through, my friend.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to a forever friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That she is, indeed. How I miss the memories we shared together - the ones she always threatened to tell others - but seldom did!

    ReplyDelete