Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Never-Ending Poem

Statue at Maria's House in St. Augustine

I started this poem many years ago, lost it, then rediscovered it a few days ago.
This morning I added to it, and I shall add to it throughout my life...a never-ending poem of gratitude.

Inspired by these words:
"Call a man ungrateful and you can call him no worse."
Matthew Henry

A Never-Ending Poem of Gratitude

Perhaps it may seem small to some,
This life I that I am living,
But God and Time have blessed me with
These reasons for thanksgiving.
And if it's just minutiae
To any eyes but mine,
I'll gather here what I hold dear,
Preserving, line by line,
Little shafts of splendor
That have lit my world a while ~
My husband's glance across a room;
My grandchild's four-toothed smile.
The soft eyes of a cocker
That reflect the bond we share;
The dance of waves upon the shore
That holds me captive there.
Old photographs of loved ones
That negate the fleeting years;
A poem that captures loveliness
Before it disappears.
A pair of humble feet adorned
With lace-like seaside foam;
Hearing Allen's truck pull in ~
God brought him safely home.
Smelling Carla's homemade bread,
Then drenching it in butter;
Knowing God will hear the prayers
A broken heart may utter.
Stars that shine above me 
On a clear and silent night;
Forgiveness from another
That sets our world aright.
New bookstores and old bookstores
With human thought aflame;
Rocking chairs that ease the cares
Of any human frame.
Having a Bible of my own,
Penned by the heart of God;
Having someone read my poems
And not think I'm so odd.
Reading a book while snuggled up
In the span of an old armchair;
Sitting alone on a weathered porch
And finding God is there.
Living to see another Spring
When all the world's abloom;
The "oldies" shared with Allen 
As we dance across the room.
The gift of a letter from a friend,
Erasing  years and miles;
A small child's open-heartedness
That charms me and beguiles.
Butterflies and lightning bugs
Darting through the air;
Knowing someone cared enough
To hold me up in prayer.

(to be continued, of course!)


1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful, Linda . . . and of course, it must be continued.
    "I'll gather here, what I hold dear,
    Little shafts of splendour . . ."
    Love it.

    ReplyDelete